Trish Forrest <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 21 Apr 1995 23:21:06 -0400
On Fri, 21 Apr 1995, Winship wrote:

> > > Goody!! Hope you decide to do it.
> >
> >   Douglas, I'll ftp a copy, print it and mail it to you for free.
> > I don't think it is worth Lsoft's time and expense to offer bound
>
> Absolutely no need for that, I can do it myself.  But a printout of an
> ftp item is *not* the same thing as a properly layed out, printed,
> indexed, etc. printed manual.  The content may be the same, but the
> ease of use is not.  When I first brought this up, the answer was

  And I would have made it so pretty for you...even rings in the
binder.  If the "look" of it from Lsoft is more important, then
by all means...put pressure on them.  This makes no sense to me,
but obviously I am missing something since content is irrelvant and
less important than Who you get it from.  By all means, get the
ftp'd copy from Lsoft instead....and pay for it....it is more usable
if you put cash up front....free stuff is junk even if it is pretty....
and has the same content.  Now to more sensible things....

> no, now they are thinking about it.  Having worked in the publishing
> field I know about costs per copy.  I think there is a greater
> market than you assume, Trish, and with LISTSERV going to a greater
> number of platforms I imagine the market will go.  We don't need to

  I think you know about zip if you base your comments above on platforms.
I'm not stupid enough to make a free offer to a large group who can't
make sense of an ftp'd copy of a manual.  I think few such individuals
exist on this list.  If you think that the majority of members of this
list don't know how to ftp and print a file and read it, then you insult
most of us.  Once a file is ftp'd, they can pull it into their word
processor and make it as pretty as they like, if that is important.

I happen to think that the content is more important...but what do I know.
I'm frequently wrong on most things.

--Trish