Michael Quinion <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 29 Oct 2000 13:21:33 -0000
> You probably should reduce the value in Probe.  What it means is
> that about 1/27 of the subscribers are probed each day that a
> message is posted.  Since you post only once a week, it will
> take 27 weeks, not days, to probe everyone.

That would seem to conflict with the information in the list
owner's manual, which says the parameter in in the Auto-Delete
Probe() is "the number of days to wait between probes for any
given user". I took that to be an absolute number of days, not
linked to the number of times I post. Or am I misunderstanding
something here?

> I would eliminate this.  There's no reason to do both active
> and passive probes.

The value of the active probe for me is that I use it to send
out the FAQ for the list, which - among other things - contains
instructions on how to send commands to the LISTSERV. Thinking
of many people get it wrong now, I'd hate to do anything that
might increase their number ...

--
Michael Quinion
Editor, World Wide Words