"Wayne T. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 22 Aug 2001 15:08:14 -0400
Jacob Haller replied, in part..
> "Mail-Via= Direct" allows you to disable it on a list-by-list basis.

That would be wonderful!  Guess I am confused by a paragraph in the
Site Manager's manual on "Mail-Via=" ...

    The default value is Mail-Via= DISTRIBUTE. DIST2 is functionally
    equivalent to DISTRIBUTE, and is included for historical reasons.
    Mail-Via= Direct causes LISTSERV to ignore the DISTRIBUTE
    algorithm for subscribers on the local system, but mail to
    non-local subscribers will still go out on the DISTRIBUTE backbone.

Is the last phrase a relic of BITNET, and not appropriate to SMTP?  A
quick test I just tried seems to indicate that. If so, excellent!  (perhaps
the wording might be adjusted for any future version of the manual,
please?)

Thanks and cheers, wayne

Wayne T. Smith                       mailto:[log in to unmask]
Systems Group - UNET                 University of Maine System
LISTSERV maintainer for http://lists.Maine.edu/