Debra Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 25 May 1999 15:58:56 +10
I've looked through the log files section of the 1.8d manual and have been
unable to find a description of why a certain problem we are having here keeps
occurring....

It's unfortunately a longish explanation:

One of our list owners here received a Daily Error Monitoring Report which
stated that the enclosed message had been identified as a possible delivery
error notice for the following reason: "Message/Delivery-Status" body part
found in the message body.

Its probably much easier to include the text here rather than re-type out
header information...

------------------------ Message in error (164 lines) -------------------------
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 17:44:56 +1000 (EST)
From: Mail Delivery Subsystem <MAILER-DAEMON>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Returned mail: User unknown
Auto-Submitted: auto-generated (failure)

An error was detected while processing the enclosed message. A list of
the affected recipients follows. This list is in a special format that
allows software like LISTSERV to automatically take action on incorrect
addresses.

--> Error description:
Error-For:  sorry, that domain isn't in my list of allowed rcpthosts (#5.7.1)
Error-Code: 3
Error-Text: User unknown

Error-End:  One error reported.

This is a MIME-encapsulated message

--RAA09830.927531896/our server

The original message was received at Mon, 24 May 1999 17:39:36 +1000 (EST)
from vogon [148.145.12.1]

<problem@address>

someone@smtpgwy,<[log in to unmask]>,
<another.one@SMTPG W Y . A G R IC.NSW.GOV....AGRIC.NSW.GOV.AU>,
>> RCPT To:<problem address> <<< 553 sorry, that domain isn't in my list of
allowed rcpthosts (#5.7.1)
550 <problem address>... User unknown
<--RAA09830.927531896/ourserver

Reporting-MTA: dns; our.agric.domain
Received-From-MTA: DNS; mailserver
Arrival-Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 17:39:36 +1000 (EST)

Final-Recipient: RFC822; problem.address@ again
Action: failed
Remote-MTA: DNS; mail.mcmedia.com.au
Diagnostic-Code: SMTP; 553 sorry, that domain isn't in my list of allowed rcpthosts (#5.7.1)
Last-Attempt-Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 17:44:41 +1000 (EST)

The original message did not contain any header information or message status
in it when it was posted to the list. The two replies that were made to it
ended up generating these headers and error status in the messages and Listserv
stopped them with the first error message about Mesage status being in the
message body.