Andrew Morrow <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 14 Jul 1998 20:06:32 -0400
Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]> writes

> >If I create BOTTOM_BANNER templates for all of the lists, what will
> >members of the main list see on a posting that was originally sent to one
> >of the sub-lists?  Will they see the original sub-list banner, the mail
> >oist banner or, heaven forbid, both?
>
> Can't say without knowing how the lists are related to each other.  What
> you have described is not the same as the normal LISTSERV sublist
> mechanism (which works from top-down not bottom up as you seem to be
> describing).  Is each list subscribed to the master list or what?

I wasn't the one who sent up the lists so I never looked closely at
the mechanism.  Inspecting the headers, yes, the sub-lists are
subscribed to the super-list and the all lists have

   Send= Owner, (super-list), (sub-list), (sub-list), ...

so that a member of any list can post to any other list.  I think
it's time for me to research the official "Sub-list" feature and see
if it will work for me.

> This will determine the path a message takes and which/how many
> bottom banners appear to which subscribers of which list(s).
>
> Really you can figure this out yourself by just mentally following a
> message from origin through each additional list to all possible
> subscribers.  If a message passes through 2 lists with bottom banners,
> then yes, some subscribers will get 2 banners.

As the lists are currently configured, it looks like the sub-list
will add a "sub-banner" and then post the message to the super-list
which will add it's own banner -- yuk<g>.

Andrew.