Murph Sewall <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 21 Apr 1996 15:57:34 -0500
On Thu, 18 Apr 1996 07:07:03 +0200, Eric Thomas wrote:
>I can certainly see how shops like AOL or CompuServe
>would offer free legal support to establish a precedent.  It must not be
>fun for them when the victim is one of their customers.

In at least one case the public email server at the White House was the
victim (three times over).  The Secret Service was not amused.  I haven't
heard anything direct about how the investigation is going although I did
here from a security officer at an university in the Mid-West (the message
implied that there was some connection with his campus).  It's moderately
amusing communicating with the constables who are earnestly investigating,
but aren't quite sure what a list is and are completely clueless about the
differences between LISTSERV, listproc, majordomo, and so forth.

Perhaps when it is possible to communicate with Speaker Gingrich again, he
might be interested in legislation directed at penalizing spamming,
spoofing, and the like (?)

/s Murphy A. Sewall <[log in to unmask]> (860) 486-2489 voice
   Professor of Marketing                          (860) 456-7725 fax
   http://mktg.sba.uconn.edu/MKT/Faculty/Sewall.html