"Stephen C. Nill" <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 7 May 2004 06:30:18 -0700
Patrick, it seems you and I have remarkably similar challenges with regard
to Google's new abilities (though perhaps they aren't as new as I thought,
based on some comments in this thread).  I too have been considering taking
our public lists private, for the same reasons.  Still, I'm greatly
hesitant to do so because our mission is to make available our resources to
literally every nonprofit professional in the world who can benefit by
them.  Taking our public archives private would be a step backwards
because, as I understand it, a person would have to be subscribed to the
lists to be searched -- erecting a barrier to the ability to do an easy
cross-list search.

For that reason, I was greatly interested in the suggestions here of coding
that would prevent Google from including LISTSERV data.  It seems to me
that if this can work, it puts us back to where we were before Google had
the capability of gathering such data.  As soon as I can carve out the
time, I'm going to give this a try.

Stephen C. Nill, J.D.
Founder & Chief Executive Officer

CharityChannel.com - The Conference That Never Sleeps (tm)