"Stan V. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 31 May 2003 01:37:43 EDT
In a message dated 5/30/2003 9:45:37 AM Central Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> >I was wondering if there is a easy way to add 900 subscribers to a list.
> >I am still using 1.8c.
>
> This works with 1.8c.
> http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/1.8d/sitemgr/sitemgr.html#7.17
>
> >Also is is possible to captur title and institution name, in addition to
> >name and e-mail address, when people sign up for a list.
>
> LISTSERV only stores name, e-mail address and options. However,
> you can use the name field to store extra text:
>
> ADD listname [log in to unmask] Mindy Humphrey President ABC Inc

I believe on the subscriber list they will be alphabetiszed as INC, in the
above example, although terms such as Jr. and II do not seem to affect the order
when following a name after a comma.  I have not observed what might happen
without the comma...

Perhaps reversing the order, so that title and institution name preceed the
subscriber name might be useful.  Or it may be that if you place a comma after
the name, it will be sorted on the lastname?  In effect the comma might
delimit a field?

Stan