Options: Use Monospaced Font
Show Text Part by Default
Show All Mail Headers

Topic: [<< First] [< Prev] [Next >] [Last >>]

Print Reply
Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 22 Aug 2001 05:12:57 +0200
text/plain (10 lines)
It is common for ISPs to implement steps that "correct" messages submitted by users. Sometimes the correction has unwanted side effects, sometimes it is not what was intended, especially when the user is technically sophisticated, but overall these corrections tend to improve customer satisfaction and reduce the number of calls to the hotline.

I tend to agree with the ISP that Resent-From should always be accompanied by Resent-Date and Resent-To. Whether or not an ISP should attempt to correct a missing Resent-Date is a grey area, the standards do not require it but then I do understand that in practice ISPs have to clean up errors coming from their users. If any mandatory Resent- field is missing, I think it should default to the original field (which is how LISTSERV works with Resent-Date/Date). I do not agree that LISTSERV should process Resent-From but ignore Resent-Date, or any other Resent- field for that matter. These fields go together, if you process one of them you have to process them all.

The simplest solution is probably for Eudora to generate a Resent-Date field with the same value as Date, if this is possible. The ISP would then have no business overwriting this field (and I doubt they would do it). If this cannot be done, you need to look for a mail server that does not attempt to correct the header.

The most reliable method for approving posts is "Send= Editor,Hold" (which uses OK). This will probably become the default in 1.8e because the old method does not work with "modern" mail messages (eg with stationery), at least not unless you have a separate mail account for moderation and you know that everything in that account is a message awaiting approval. The advantage of the old method is that it is easier to edit messages than with the OK method. With fancy MIME messages, there isn't really a good way to edit messages to begin with (eg if the text is sent as a Word attachment, you are going to need Word and a fair dose of patience no matter how clever the approval system tries to be). We really haven't decided what to do about the old method and mail-based editing of simple text messages, I would appreciate any input you (or others) have.

Eric

ATOM RSS1 RSS2