"Ahern, Shannon" <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 25 Jul 2002 07:45:27 -0700
This was most informative. Thank you. I will tell them how to do this.  :-)

Shannon

	-----Original Message-----

	From: Paul Russell [mailto:[log in to unmask]]

	Sent: Thu 7/25/02 7:02 AM

	To: [log in to unmask]

	Subject: Re: Archive Queries - capturing the query string for the URL?

	I suspect that Pete did the same thing I do when I want to publish a

	direct link to a restricted URL on the LISTSERV server: he edited the

	URL to remove his email address and password cookie.

	I started with a real URL to create the following examples, but modified

	it to ensure that I did not accidentally reveal meaningful information.

	Example 1: Unedited URL copied from my browser location box (wrapped for

	ease of reading):

	     http://listserv.bogus.tld/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0207&L=bogus-l

	     &F=&S=&X=1A2B3C4D00D4C3B2A1&[log in to unmask]&P=1484

	Example 2: Edited URL for publication:

	     http://listserv.bogus.tld/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0207&L=bogus-l&P=1484

	The parameter list in the URL begins with a question mark (?), and an

	ampersand (&) marks the beginning of a new parameter name. The parameters

	are like list keyword statements, i.e., the parameter name is followed by

	an equal sign (=) and the parameter value. Parameters with null values can

	be removed from the URL for brevity. 'A2' is the log file name, 'L' is the

	listname, 'P' is the message (post) number, 'X' is the password cookie,

	and 'Y' is the email address.

	To create the URL which I want to publish, I removed 'F' and 'S' for

	brevity, and 'X' and 'Y' for reasons which should be obvious.

	If the URL in example 2 was valid, it would take the user to message

	number 1484 in the July 2002 archives of the BOGUS-L list on the server

	listserv.bogus.tld. If the list archives were restricted in any way, and

	the user had not previously saved his/her password cookie on his/her

	workstation, he/she would be prompted by LISTSERV to login with his/her

	email address and LISTSERV password. Access to the archived message would

	be granted or denied based on the list configuration.

	On Wed, 24 Jul 2002, Ahern, Shannon <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

	>So, here is the reply I got from my technical staff fellow, although I

	notice that *your* samples below do NOT include your login info. How did you

	do that?

	--

	Paul Russell

	Senior System Administrator