Nathan Brindle <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 30 Aug 1998 10:12:17 EDT
On Sat, 29 Aug 1998 17:58:36 -0400 Mary Schweitzer said:
>Nathan Brindle wrote:
>
>> In a case like this I would suggest separate lists, and make them all
>> sub-lists of a super-list which would be used to post messages that
>> all of the users (regardless of language) should receive.  That way
>> the digests will contain only what you want them to contain.  This is
>> the most efficient way to handle your needs, and it will be
>> immediately obvious to the user that he has signed up for the German
>> list, or the French list, or ..., without a need to set an explicit
>> topic once he has subscribed.
>
>The problem with this design, as I see it, is that those of us who pay
>per subscriber are going to end up paying twice -- once for the sublist,
>once for the superlist.  Is that correct?

Umm...no...not unless you have the subscriber on both lists.  This would
be more of a problem if you have a graduated LAK and are limited to a
finite number of <lists>.  Technically your super-list doesn't have to
have any subscribers at all (and it would use 1 point).  I mean, LISTSERV
doesn't go through and say "Oh, we have a super-list, let's count up all
of the subscribers on the sub-lists and force the customer to use x number
of points just for the super-list".  Or have I misunderstood the question?

Nathan