Brent Black <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 6 Oct 2000 10:32:49 -0700
Hello everyone,

Just a quick heads up for any list owners who have subscribers using a
Netzero.com email address.

Netzero in all their wisdom has apparently decided to return all the
email in a users mailbox to the original sender after 6 months of inactivity
(they call it Stale mail).

I was recently treated to a barrage of returned emails (all the announcements
I sent to our list members over a period of more than 1 year).

I contacted the folks at Netzero to let them know about my feelings on this
policy and was told there is nothing that can be done about it and that
nobody else had complained.  Hmm.

I explained that any mail tagged as BULK surely did not need to be returned
a year later and that our list members would not even know who the person
was since they did not email them directly.  I ran into a brick wall.

As a result we will no longer allow new users to subscribe to our service with a Netzero
address.

Perhaps some of you would have better luck explaining the effect of this policy
to the folks at netzero.

Below is a copy of a recent reply from the Netzero tech support
folks regarding this issue along with their email address.

In our case blocking the address is not an option since the users return address
is shown.  Perhaps those of you who have the list address as the return can block
the server before you get a taste of this.

Hope this helps someone.

Regards,

Brent

Netzero reply and contact follows:

There was much more useless back and fourth
discussion but I just included the final
resulting response.