rob woiccak <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 9 Jan 1996 08:42:14 EST
Daniel Cwiertniewicz <[log in to unmask]> sez:
>That's what I thought at first.  But what is really happening is that the
>mail has been delivered to a host internal to infi.net.  It then appears
>that there is an internal delivery problem which is generating the error
>message.

ah, okay. that's certainly possible. it was unclear since the headers were
clipped from the original bounce message.

despite what peter weiss says, i've still have experiences with this kind
of message coming from the list's host when it is unable to establish a
connection with the recipient's host. for the most part, these are "soft"
errors and usually are not reported ("Precedence: junk", when a host
respects it, is a good thing). in fact, the only time i see these bounces
anymore is when postmaster reports a hard error (user unknown, mail unde-
livered): if the post which generated the hard bounce had any soft bounces
associated with it, they are listed as well.

rob woiccak