Andrew Bosch <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 11 Sep 2006 09:19:54 -0500
Hal is correct. If Auto-Delete= No, then Listserv will pass any bounce
reports back to the list owner. His other suggestion about using
Auto-Delete=Yes, Manual is a good one for managing the reports into
summaries and yet leaving the actual list trimming to the list owner.
The suggestions for setting NOMAIL for problem recipients, such as your
WebTV subscriber, to help keep them on the list, even though they won't
receive any mail from the list, also work; setting NOMAIL should be used
together with communication with the subscriber's ISP and the subscriber
to determine the root cause of these delivery problems. (I had a case
where the ISP had set their firewall too aggressively and blocked their
own mail server from sending back to my list server.)

The way to limit bounce reports is to limit the bounces or, at least,
keep Listserv from reporting on the stubborn ones. The suggestions
everyone else mentioned in their posts are all ways to do this. How you
do it depends on your policy. On one extreme, you can have Listserv
prune bouncing addresses on the first or second bounce and tell you only
when it has taken action. On the other extreme, you can have Listserv
just tell you about non-deliveries and leave the actual removal to you.

>>> "Accentuated Brandname Creativity, Inc." <[log in to unmask]>
9/10/2006 7:14 PM
>It's easier to shut off the auto-delete feature by setting
Auto-Delete=No
>in the list header, since that will have a similar effect.

Will doing so increase the frequency of bounce notifications we
receive?
(Hal's comment "If you change to Auto-Delete= No, you will probably
find
the error reports unbearable" seemed to mean that fresh reports will
kick
in automatically, so I understand that the answer may well be yes.)
Speaking of which, how can we limit or even eliminate these, even if
Listserv always has to relay them to at least the listowner?