Roger Burns <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 26 Jun 1994 17:59:26 -0400
I think your best option is simply to prompt a discussion among list-owners
here, as you've done by posting your message.  I see 3 basic scenarios as
to how this might play out:

(1) List-owners who didn't anticipate the problem you've pointed out and
who don't wish for there to be an unnecessary obstacle to their database
will, having read your message, change their notebook to public.

(2) List-owners who accepted default keyword values given to them by their
Listserv maintainers and so similarly never anticipated this problem, may
also now be prompted to change their notebook to public.

(3) List-owners who *have* thought this issue through and who have
decided, for whatever reason, that they want their notebook to be private
will in fact keep it private, and the rest of us will need to live with that.

>   Having
> Archive return "access control violation" is a choice, but not a very
> good one.  We could resolve to fix the problem with a mass nagging
> of list owners.                                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^

Please do not do this.  Persuade as many as you can by discussion here on
LSTOWN-L but please do not embark on a campaign of "nagging".  Eric's
Listserv was developed with an assumption that list-owners, or Listserv
maintainers, have the final say on list policy.  If these folks think a policy
through and make a decision, then that should be that.  Please don't
undetake a program of "mass nagging".  This issue should really be the
business of no one except those who run the various lists.

-- Roger Burns   [log in to unmask]