Dan Lester <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 25 Jul 1997 14:49:47 -0600
At 04:26 PM 7/25/97 -0400, you wrote:
>At 03:57 PM 7/25/97 -0500, LYDIA FISH wrote:
>>Is there any way to send a message to everyone on my list who is set to
>nomail?
>QUERY <LISTNAME> WITH NOMAIL FOR *@* will get you a listing of all 'nomails'
>
>As for messaging 'nomails' I know of no way other than laboriously
>extracting the address' from the result of the QUERY.

That would be easy enough to script into a mailing list to send something
to all of those in the query result set.   Even if you don't "do code" of
any sort, I'll bet a competent student lab assistant could do it between
changing the paper in the printers ..... certainly less than an hour.

>I sure would appreciate knowing if there is an easier way.

I guess I don't get it.  I know everyone had different styles and reasons
for doing things.....but I'm trained to find out WHY you want to know, and
can often get what you want than the way one presumes it has to be done.
(It is called being trained as a librarian and as a computer support person)

Anyhow, the only reason I can think of to get in personal touch with the
nomailers is to find out if they want to be on list, kicked off, etc.
That is what the RENEW function does.  If they don't renew in time (and I
set my limit to 21 days, longer than most), they're gone.  Mission
accomplished.   And if there are reasons other than that to contact them
all (and a number of the addresses will bounce anyway), I'd be curious what
they are.

cheers

dan

Dan Lester
In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.  Erasmus, 1534