Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 29 Oct 1996 12:00:36 +0100
On Mon, 28 Oct 1996 20:56:51 EST Roger Fajman <[log in to unmask]> said:

>I don't  know about Europe, but  I've never heard  of any law in  the US
>that would prevent an organization from forcing its employees to receive
>certain email messages.

Just to clarify, this wouldn't be a problem in Europe. However we do have
laws to protect  people from misuse of computer  technology. As computers
started to appear, companies (and governments) discovered that they could
do  all sorts  of interesting  things with  them, which  were not  always
unlawful because  it just had  not been an issue  in the past.  Laws were
passed to  protect society from this  new threat. The laws  vary from one
country to another, but for instance,  if a company (or government) has a
computer file about you, they are required by law to allow you to examine
this  file, and  to correct  any factual  error that  you may  point out.
Sweden (and I  think other Nordic countries) go even  further and require
all credit advice  firms to send the  "victim" a full copy  of the report
transmitted to  their client,  along with  the name  of the  client. This
means that when you  apply for a credit card and  the credit card company
runs a credit  check on you, you  get a copy of the  information that was
sent to  them (and an opportunity  to have any factual  error corrected),
and you are  told who ordered the report. Needless  to say, these reports
tend to be accurate and unbiased :-)  There are also laws allowing you to
demand anonymity  on public databases  (disabling CONCEAL on a  list with
"Review= Public" could thus be  illegal, depending on the circumstances).
There are cases where you can demand to be removed from a database (it is
then usually  acceptable to anonymize your  entry so that it  can be kept
for statistical  purposes). For  instance, if you  decide to  cancel your
subscription to  a newspaper, you can  demand that they stop  sending you
reminders or  ads about  their other publications.  I'm pretty  sure that
keeping cross-vendor databases of people with their spending habits would
be illegal  unless the information  is anonymous  and thus used  only for
statistical  purposes. If  it's  an internal  customer  database (ie  not
shared among vendors), it's probably allowed  if you can make a case that
you need this information to service the customer. You won't be surprised
to hear that I  get maybe 2-3 pieces of junk mail a  week, of which 2 are
from nearby food  shops who somehow think I haven't  yet noticed that (i)
they are  the only 2 groceries  in the area and  (ii) I need to  eat food
every day, not once  every other month :-) If we  could convince the food
shops that their stupid ads have no  impact on where we shop, there would
be virtually no junk mail.

  Eric