Cal Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 11 Mar 2007 10:17:21 -0700
Does stripping HTML in the config fix this bug? HOW does one do that so I
can test it.

From the tests we did, when the reply is sent, and it gets blanked out, the
message is gone, not something you can see not matter what client.

Bottom line for us is that people use Outlook with WORD as editor.
Everything work fine when outlook is sending text only and even appears to
work fine when HTML is selected as long as WORD Is not the editor.

Are there any options we have to fix this?

-----Original Message-----
Behalf Of LSTOWN-L automatic digest system
Sent: Friday, March 09, 2007 9:01 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: LSTOWN-L Digest - 8 Mar 2007 to 9 Mar 2007 (#2007-36)

Date:    Fri, 9 Mar 2007 13:21:36 -0600
From:    Hal Keen <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Outlook bug sending blank messages

>This happens because Outlook by default doesn't create a plain-text body of
the message in addition to the HTML MIME part. The blank body appears to
Listserv as a blank message.

That's a new and very troubling bug!

When people on my list started getting versions of Outlook that used Word as
the default client, I had to change my list configuration to strip HTML. The
problem with HTML is that Word is trying to use it as a document-format
control language (that being what Word is really about), and puts layer
after layer of highly specific format-control style specifications on every
line. People could be sending email that was eight times the size it
appeared to be.

Size becomes important on an active list; HTML mail was filling up
subscribers' mailboxes and causing their email to bounce, although I've got
sizes limited to 100KB and the real monsters from Word were bouncing. Since
I've cut off HTML, there's been a lot less problem with full mailboxes.

So far, I haven't seen any cases where Word omitted the plaintext version.
(And it IS Word, not Outlook, that controls that.) If new versions omit the
plaintext, I will have to recommend to my subscribers that they demand MS
fix it or find a replacement.

So far, they've all been generating plaintext, which gets through.

Hal Keen