Sun, 12 May 1996 21:13:49 +1000
Hello again,

thanks for your help.  I have just a few comments...

On Sat, 11 May 1996, Peter Rauch wrote:

> In PINE, you can edit the headers, create your own headers, and so
> you can cut and paste in the original values for those headers too.
>
> See Rich Headers, and see the SETUP/OPTIONS for details (unless your
> PINE is supplied by a service bureau that does not permit you to
> change the setup/options, in which case, it's not PINE but your service
> that's the bottleneck).

I have Pine 3.91 for Unix (running on SunOS).  I checked the SETUP/CONFIG
option in the main menu but I couldn't find anything that mentioned rich
headers.  The only similar option I found was "[ ] enable-full-headers"
which I have turned on.  In any case I didn't manage to actually edit the
headers.

> But, there is another issue. You probably shouldn't be changing the
> >From field from you to the original author. After all, you have now
> changed the contents of the message, and it is no longer that of
> the original author; in fact, the original author might get very
> upset to have email distributed which is attributed to her but written/
> edited by someone else. Better to send the edited copy back to the
> original author and ask her to revise her message according to your
> suggestions so that it gets "approved" for posting.

I agree with you.  It's always better to resend it back to the original
sender, but in this case I refered to editing such things as wrong
spellings in the topics or in the format/style that I request the
subscribers to abide to when posting to the list.  I do not intend to
actually change the content of their mails.  In any case it is always a
sensible issue editing/moderating...

> And, you have no control over the "Approved-By: <listowner>" header that
> gets inserted by LISTSERV before distribution. You could add additional
> Approved-by: headers, but I don't know to what purpose.
>
> That leaves only the Reply-To: header as interesting to edit.
> Peter R.

I guess this is the field that I would like changed to the original
sender or list (depending on the Reply-To parameter in Listserv).  Basically
this would be the headers that I'd like to see sent when I edit the message:

Approved-By: <the editor's address>
From: <the editor's address>
and if possible (does it exist??? Could it be added? Does it make sense?)
Original(ly)-From or Original(ly)-Sent-By: <the original sender's address>
(actually this could be the From as long as Revised-By is there)
Revised-By or Edited-By: <the editor's address>
...or something similar.

What do you think?  Looks pretty messy huh?... all I really want is to
keep the same headers as when I just resend it without editing it, and
maybe just add the Revised-By for authorship sake.

Best wishes,

David M