Tue, 29 Oct 2002 11:16:41 -0800
On Tue, 29 Oct 2002 at 07:23:28AM -0500, Stan Horwitz wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Oct 2002, Randy Ryan wrote:
>
> > An interesting problem, since if one posts via the LISTSERV web interface,
> > their lines are not wrapped either.
> >

> I have been running a Listserv almost since Eric Thomas first invented the
> software, but I have never come across anyone with this request before. If
> your subscribers have that need, just set your list's header to NOHTML and
> you should be fine.

NOHTML doesn't help with long lines sent via email. Some time ago a
subscriber sent a 2000+ character paragraph as a single line. Something in
the transfer path truncated the line at ~2000 characters (unsurprising,
since the RFC821 line length limit is 1000 characters) and the subscriber
complained to me that I had truncated his message. I'm not sure he believed
me when I told him he needed to use a mail client that conforms to the RFCs
if he wanted to keep his messages from being unpredictably truncated.

RFC2646 specifies the Format=Flowed message format which allows the
recipient's mail client to display lines that fit the local screen width
without causing problems for recipients with 80 character displays.
http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc2646.txt

Regards,

-rex