Michael Shannon <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 31 May 2002 17:03:52 +1000

> Mention has been made on this list about LISTSERV 1.8e.
> What about other
> features, from the listowners' viewpoint?  Could we have a
> memo on that?

You could try the L-Soft website.  The main LISTSERV product page has a full
listing of features
http://www.lsoft.com/products/default.asp?item=listserv-features.
Unfortunately, I don't recall a point-for-point comparison document.

> As to the virus stuff, the admin at my host site tells me that the
> internal, LISTSERV, antivirus stuff will work only for Linux
> and a Windows
> platform (NT?) so that my site, being Unix, will not have it.
>
> If that is correct, why is it correct?  Improvements are only for the
> currently most popular platforms and everyone else can go hang (AFD
> anyone?)?

Probably because the anti-virus component is provided by a third party, the
development of which is out of L-Soft's hands.  Speaking from a software
developer's point of view, it's hard enough to find a third-party
application that will integrate *nicely* with your own.  Sometimes the one
application that fits best won't fit with every situation.  You might do
better lobbying F-Secure (the antivirus program developer) to come out with
a version that supports your platform.

In any case, your best defence is configuring your list appropriately
(Attachments=NO, Sizelim=xxx).  Remember, and anti-virus scanner is only as
good as the last update...and viruses generally propagate faster than the
updates.

That's my two-bob's worth anyway.

--
Chazzozz!!

Michael Shannon
Webmaster

"Before you can grow old and wise you must first survive being young and
stupid." - Ancient Proverb

Note: Opinions expressed on this list are my own and do not reflect the
views, opinions or position of my employer.  If swallowed, seek medical
advice.