Paul Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 7 Aug 2004 00:27:39 -0500
On 8/6/2004 7:32 AM, Pete Weiss wrote:

> try the cmd
>
> FREE abclist

Based on the information provided in the original message in this thread,
we know that the list is not held. The messages in question are being
added to the archives and the log shows that the messages are being
distributed, however, neither the message nor the posting acknowledgement
are reaching the recipient's mailbox.

The reported symptoms could be the result of problems or conditions at
one or more points between LISTSERV and the recipient.

1. The interaction between LISTSERV and LSMTP: If there is a problem in this
    area, the messages may be queued in .mail files in the listserv/spool
    directory. If the messages are not in the listserv/spool directory, the
    cause of the problem probably lies further along the chain.

2. The LSMTP server: We do not run LSMTP, so I cannot offer any advice for
    trouble-shooting LSMTP, however, I would expect the LSMTP log to show
    when the messages were received from LISTSERV and when they were delivered
    to the next mail server in the delivery path. If the messages could not be
    delivered, the log should show why the delivery attempts failed.

3. Other mail servers in the delivery path between LISTSERV and the
    recipient: If the LSMTP log shows that the messages were delivered to
    another mail server, it will be necessary to work with the administrator
    of that server to determine the disposition of the messages. It is
    possible that an overly-aggressive spam filter is blocking or discarding
    the messages.

4. The recipient's mail server: If the messages are being delivered to the
    recipient's mail server, but they are not reaching the recipient's
    mailbox, there may be server-side filters which are discarding the
    messages or moving them to an unexpected location.

5. The recipient's email client: If you have followed the delivery path all
    the way to the recipient's mailbox, then the recipient's email client may
    be the source of the problem. The most likely cause would be a local
    filter that is discarding the messages or moving them to an unexpected
    location.

We have eliminated one possible cause of the problem (the list is not held),
but we have insufficient information to determine which of several other
possible causes is the actual cause of the problem.

--
Paul Russell
Senior Systems Administrator