Vince Sabio <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 20 Sep 1998 15:59:48 -0400
** Sometime around 15:26 -0400 9/20/98, Roger Fajman said:

>>Nope, that's not a justification. If anyone needs to contact a specific
>>list member off the list, he must necessarily *first* know that the other
>>list member exists. The only way that this happens is if the other list
>>member has posted to the list -- in which case, he has already voluntarily
>>revealed his presence on the list, anyway. But on *most* lists, this
>>represents only about 5 to maybe 20 percent of the subscribers. Thus, you
>>are "revealing" the addresses of 80 to 95 percent of the subscribers who
>>would otherwise be anonymous -- and some of those people might prefer to
>>retain their anonymity.
>
>LISTSERV does have the CONCEAL option for people who wish to stay out of
>REVIEW.

Yes, and I set my LISTSERV lists to default to that option -- but that
is not the topic under discussion. IMO, CONCEAL simply provides another
layer of security -- like, for example, the time that one of my co-owners
thought that he could update the list header himself, and removed the
Review=Owner line by mistake. (d'oh!)

Vince Sabio            Boy & His Sabre: <http://www.insane.net/tsc/Vince/>
[log in to unmask]            Stop Internet Spam! <http://www.cauce.org/>

   Vince's Interior Decorating Tip #37 (collect the whole series!):
       "If it's not spaghetti, it doesn't belong on the wall."