Peacenet Balkans Desk <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 9 Mar 1999 16:30:44 -0500
At 11:20 AM 3/9/99 -0500, Pete Weiss wrote:
>mail is mail
>news is news
>web is web
>
>The fact that there are interfaces aka gateways among them does not make
>any of them equivalent to any others.

Respectfully, this doesn't seem to be the way the internet is going.
Personally I'd like to keep things separated as Pete implies, but as a
facilitator of communications, I'm trying to adapt my list environment that
I find the users to be in. I thought LISTSERV-cum-web was an alternative to
say, the egroups.com approach. Evidently I'm mistaken. The question remain,
what *is* the purpose of the LISTSERV web (subscriber) interface if not to
provide an alternative to the email mode? And if it is an alternative,
shouldn't it be one-to-one with email, in the sense that the users should
see the same behavior at each?

>They each have their pros and cons.

Maybe it would help clear this up if someone could list the pros and cons of
each mode. (that is, of interacting with the list via email and interacting
via the web interface)

(I'm not talking about the listowner's pages, where I do see the advantages
of the two modes, and am not concerned about the fact that some things are
more conveniently done in one than the other; but about the users pages,
where I think that parallelism and transparency is critical.)

I'm not trying to be contentious, only to understand so that I can best
serve the subscribers.  --  ed
----
Ed Agro, Peacenet Balkans Desk, Boston ([log in to unmask])
         http://lists.igc.org/archives/zamir-chat-l.html