Bruce Dienes <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 22 Feb 1993 02:34:52 -0600
I am the Campus Support Groups coordinator for the Counseling Center at
the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.  We have been
experimenting with using LISTSERV groups and NetNews groups as
electronic support groups wherin people can exchange information,
stories, advice, etc. on a specific common concern.  However, in many
instances the electonic forums are less confidential than face to face
meetings.  When one shows up for an advertized meeting, one does not
have to give one's last name or phone number, but when one sends e-mail,
one is immediately traceable.

Does anyone out there have information about posting anonymously to
listserv groups?  How easy is this to set up?  How confidential is it
really?  Are there any practical, technical or ethical issues I need to
know about?

Many students are just too busy to go to meetings, but we have 20,000
people on campus that use e-mail.  I would hate to see this forum go
unused for support groups just because of the confidentiality issue.

Any insights gratefully received...

Bruce,
"owner" of
relate-l
selfcn-l
quaker-l
quaker-p
--
Bruce P. A. Dienes                     Beware the iniquitous Disk Trolls!
BitNet:   dienes@uiucvmd