Norm Aleks <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 12 Jan 1995 19:46:39 -0500
On Fri, 13 Jan 1995, Aldo-Pier Solari wrote:

(in a thread that started off with discussion of Daily-Threshold=)
> Doesn't LISTSERV set stop for  mail loops through filters  ?  - Perhaps a
> dangerous question but  I wonder how mail loops  may be started through a
> LISTSERV list.

I am sure  Eric will have  something to say about  this, but I can tell you
after looking at lots of packages that LISTSERV offers very, very good loop
detection -- hard to beat (though ListProc is also very good).  It looks at
who's sending it mail,  it looks at whether it's  seen a particular message
in the past,  it looks at whether  the message "looks  like" a loop in many
tricky ways (does it include  within the body  a new set of RFC822 headers,
etc.).  And you  can be sure that,  whenever a new kind  of loop is  found,
Eric will modify   LISTSERV to deal  with it.   "Daily-Threshold="  is last
ditch protection, not  primary -- if everything  else that LISTSERV does is
not protecting you (because *someone* will *always* come up  with a new way
to break things), it puts a limit on the damage the loop can cause.

So,  unless you  turn off one  or more  parts of  LISTSERV's loop-detection
facilities using Loopcheck=, you're about as safe as you can be.

By  the way, let me  make a little   plug here for  my  FAQ on mailing list
management software packages.   (It has a whole  section on loop detection,
so this is  relevant,  really :-) ) Get  it  from [log in to unmask]  by
sending the command GET MLM-SOFTWARE FAQ

Norm
--
"Life's like a movie / Write your own ending"   -- Kermit