Thu, 1 Oct 1998 23:44:49 -0500
> LISTSERV at the Univ. at Buffalo has a web page for listowners
> http://listserv.buffalo.edu/owner/
> but the files found there are more of the procedural type, e.g.,
> HOW do I do this rather than the policy type, e.g., WHAT can I do and what
> shouldn't I do.

That is more or less what I said, with more explication, isn't it Judith?
(Judith is my coowner for AUTOCAT).

Stanley H. at Temple mentioned things which point up one of the problems
of universities which are host sites for a lot of lists: a lot of the
lists may be small class lists for a semester, or university admin.  lists
with the listowners people who do not know anything about how eamil works,
much less anything about LISTSERV and they do not WANT to know.  This
means they will be constantly pestering the LISTSERV administrator for the
least little problem.

Perhaps in Florida, if I recall correctly, you might want to set up a
testing system to see if those requesting new lists are able to administer
them properly themselves. Practical things where the person demonstrates
knowledge of basic listserv commands, and how to help a subscriber with a
basic problem (I get the list mail but when I try to sign off I'm told I'm
not subscribed! HELP!), ability to interpret an email header (not
necessarily being able to correctly analyse every error message, that
comes with experience), given situation A how would you handle it?,
situation B?, etc. Tests for very small local lists could be simpler,
tests for a potential multinational, multithousand subscribership more
thorough and complex.

I can't say that I advise this, it is only a suggestion.  I will say,
though, that I would rather see that, with the listowner free to get into
trouble or not on his own, than a rigid set of rules to which the
listowner must constantly refer.

And that is quite enough for this one.

Douglas