Karen Reznek <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 27 Oct 2015 21:40:58 -0400
On 10/27/15 6:11 PM, Ian Fairclough wrote:

> In posting to LSTOWN-L I was hoping that a reader would be able to
> either say that there is no such problem (in which case messages from
> the list can go out with attachments, no restrictions) or that there
> is a problem (in which case, the list settings need to be adjusted to
> prevent inclusion of attachments).

Not a technical issue, but I do not remain subscribed to lists that have
no restriction on attachments. If multi-MB posts are flying back and
forth, especially if they add little value to the discussion, or could
be -- but are not -- easily reduced in size, I'm not going to hang around.

This can be easily remedied with a sizelim in the header, which would
still allow small attachments through, but not that 12MB photo of the
grandkids. :-)

> A related concern is that some images that are embedded within emails

Worse if they are embedded, rather than attachments. I can delete an
attachment, while retaining the content of the email, which decreases
the amount of storage needed for backups. With embedded images, I have
to either use the storage, or delete the entire email. Apple Mail is a
big offender with this, where attachments show up inline unless the
receiver is also using Apple Mail. Even then, there is no option to
delete the attachment. With some hunting, I found a plugin that makes
attachments show up as, well, attachments in other mail clients.

I use Thunderbird, but Photos will only share jpg files through the Mail
app. Without this plugin, I would drag the photos from Mail to
Thunderbird. I don't know if any of your subscribers using Apple Mail
would be interested, but the plugin is at
http://clivegaleni.com/posts/os-x-mail-disable-inline-attachments/

--
Karen Reznek