Stan Horwitz <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 6 Jun 2001 09:51:21 -0400
On Tue, 5 Jun 2001, Christine Othitis wrote:
> The developer who was the listowner for all the lists left over half a year
> ago. We would like to start using LISTSERV again internally, and I am the
> lucky person to be the admin.
> Unfortunately, the previous developer did not leave behind any documentation
> or passwords. I am unable to login as the admin, because altho I know his
> email address, I don't know the password he chose. Is there a way to
> retrieve the password, or will we need to re-install it?

Log into the actual machine that runs Listserv. If you can't do that, then
find someone who has that authority. Once you gain access to the machine,
then all you need to do is change Listserv's site configuration file to
recognize your email address as a postmaster, then restart Listserv. Next,
you just log into Listserv using your own email address and your own
Listserv password. There is absolutely no reason you need to reinstall
Listserv software in order to achieve this.

In order to create lists, you need to make a note of the Listserv creation
password. This password appears in the site configuration file.