John Debruyn <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 13 Sep 1996 18:14:23 -0600
Hi Roger and the rest of the LSTOWN braintrust:

Thanks to the pointers (from Roger Fajman) and a day to think about the
two lists operated in tandem with two levels--the post graduate level
discussion and the student level discussion--I would like to bounce the
following solution off the LSTOWN braintrust.

The first list with the post graduate level discussion is open on a
read/write basis to all at that level.  The second list is also open on a
read/write basis to all at the student level plus those at the post
graduate level who participate in that list to answer questions and
otherwise assist in the education of the student.

The third list is subscribed to the first and is otherwise a read only
list.  Subscribers to the third list will be the students who would like
to read the first list and they would be permited to reply with questions
and comments to the postings to the first list that come to them through
the third list.

Can the messages sent out by the third list have a "reply to" setting that
directs them back to the second list where the other students and their
"advisor/mentors" could deal in the second list with the student questions
and comments in reply to the post graduate level messages coming to them
from the first list via the third.

I can see an advantage over this three-list arrangement over the one
proposed earlier (message appended at very of this message).  The
participants in the student list would have the option of participating in
the student list only or, those who wanted to be more involved, could
participate in the student list and read the post graduate list.

I am hoping that what Roger has suggested (message appended immediately
below) about using the "reply to" feature would include setting the "reply
to" keyword so that the messages distributed by the third list would, when
replied to, be directed to the second list.

Thanks for listening,

John