Dan Lester <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 30 May 1997 18:02:57 -0600
At 02:13 PM 5/30/97 -0400, Karen Strauss wrote:
>I think that is what I will have to do. Most of the people on the list who
>are using Hotmail did not even know that the banner was added to their
>messages. And nowhere on the Hotmail site does it say that the banner will
>be added; it is not in the sign-up instructions or in the agreement to use
>their mail. The least they could do is mentioned that simple little fact.
>Oh well.

I agree that I'd let hotmail folks subscribe, and that I'd individually
block spammers instead of blocking the whole domain, unless the hotmail
spam problem is significantly worse than that from elsewhere.  I own twelve
lists on many topics, and have had no problems with hotmail.com any
differently than from others.

What I do not understand is the appeal of hotmail accounts as opposed to
"real accounts".  If someone has an ISP, they have email in all cases I've
ever heard of.  If they're students with campus web access they have email.
 I suppose it might appeal to those who use public web stations in coffee
houses, libraries, etc, but that quickly can get expensive if you're buying
by the quarter hour.  And, in most libraries that I know of (including the
one where I manage Internet services) email access is blocked on the
browser.   Or is it that they're reading it via a webpage, thus avoiding
the mail client in the browser?  (I'd love to be able to block web servers
that have included chat pages....since that isn't allowed in our place due
to lack of public web stations...leaving librarians to enforce it)

cheers

cyclops

Dan Lester
In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.  Erasmus, 1534