CFS-20s Owner <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 11 Dec 1998 19:21:07 -0400
Hi All,

I've got a strange problem with my list that I'd appreciate comments
on. It actually involves my own address. Posts from my list take an
extra hop through the university that is upstream of my ISP before
they arrive. This usually doesn't cause much of a delay except for
yesterday when the university apparently experienced server problems
and posts were held up until this morning. The totally strange thing
about this is that not only do command replies from the server which
hosts my list come directly back to my ISP without the stop-over at
the university, but posts from a second list that I am on at the same
listserver come directly as well. This has me perplexed, especially
as both lists on that same server are set up with: "Mail-Via=
Distribute" The only difference in that setting between the two lists
(which I noticed just now) is that my list has a capital "V" in
"via", where as the other has a lower case "v". Does anyone know if
that would make the difference in delivery paths, and if not, any
clues on what would? I'm preparing to change it anyway, just for the
sake of it, since it's all I can find that has any chance of being
the reason.

As a side note, posts from LSTOWN-L also hop through the university
on the way here, so at least it isn't only my list. :) It is however
the only other list I've found that takes such a hop. Admittedly I'm
not subscribed to more than a few lists so it's not a huge sampling
to make a statement about if most lists take the extra hop or not. I
was at one point on a third list hosted by the server my list is on,
and posts from there also came directly.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Patrick