Wed, 10 Feb 1999 14:06:48 -0600
> I run an 800+ member list and we haven't had a clueless unscribe sent the
> the list in at least a year.

Betty, these are the best suggestions I've seen yet..

> 2) all new subscribers are by default set to review.
> I've revised the mail template to send a blurb reminding them that it's
> their responsibility to keep their posts consistant with list guidelines

I very much like your insistance that subscribers are RESPONSIBLE..
takes the "list mommy" stuff off your shoulder.. although some listowners seem to like
the power that gives them.

We've been very fortunate on our lists.. we have very few rules and each of those
few rules are necessary .. we've only had to put 2 people on REVIEW for continued
rule infractions.. although all new subscribers are on REVIEW.. they seem able to
come off it very quickly as did the 2 who were set to review.  We bend over
backwards to be fair and not let our personal feelings about particular subscribers
enter into any listmanagement doings and the subscribers seem to know that.

We do have to send occasional "gentle reminders" about things like quoting .. but all
in all, we can't complain even about that much. We do not, though, ever do any
listmanagement via the lists [except very general ADMIN: announcements] which we
find is right and fair.. and keeps meta discussions about list management off the list..
and keeps down the "why didn't you do her/him" crap via private email ;-)

  ...Cleo  [log in to unmask]