Mon, 17 Apr 1995 23:31:36 -0500
On Mon, 17 Apr 1995, Dave Gomberg wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Apr 1995 08:33:45 -0400 David B. O'Donnell said:
> >Yes, getting hundreds of bounces a day is irritating. I'm not sure what
> >exactly can or should be done about it, though.
>
> I know exactly what should be done about it.  The number of bounce messages
> to a single recipient about a single user should be limited (to one per day
> or whatever).  There is no point in pumping them out by the dozens or more.

Yes, there is a point to this.  If you have a largish, active list (AUTOCAT
is 3000+, traffic of 25 - 65+ per day) 200 - 300 errors per day is not
unusual.  A lot of those will be repeats, but a fair number will be singleton
errors, or errors that happen two - three times per day over a number of
days.  Those I save for reference for a while, but otherwise ignore (helps
to have a special account for errors).  If only one error for the
subscriber in question is allowed through how can it be determined whether
the problem will likely go away by itself or it is serious and something
needs to be done, without extra work?

Of course, if you delete immediately on sight of an error, you'll want to
see only one error.  But I don't do that, except in the case of 3, 5, 7 etc.
day errors.
       Douglas Winship   Hays County, Texas  [log in to unmask]
                    Secondary AUTOCAT Listowner
                              MEDLAB-L