Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 3 Jan 2003 16:46:06 -0700
On Fri, 3 Jan 2003 17:41:49 -0500, Douglas Palmer
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>// quiet set prob topics: -all +Civil-Rights for [log in to unmask]
>PW=mypass

In the first place, the long-line syntax above needs  " ,"  (space+comma)
at the end of the line to be valid.

>then gives an error that the
>address:

>Unknown command - "[log in to unmask]". Try HELP.

This means that your 'helpful' email client is wrapping the long line for
you after the word 'for'  i.e. it is doing this:

// quiet set prob topics: -all +Civil-Rights for
PW=mypass

which is confusing to LISTSERV.

So, I would defeat such unwanted helpfulness by doing

// quiet set prob topics: -all +Civil-Rights for ,
[log in to unmask] PW=mypass

Remember, it is not LISTSERV which is wrapping the lines.  They are being
wrapped before they get to LISTSERV.  Use a mail client you can control
fully, (not always possible) or use the correct long-line syntax.