Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 12 Jun 1995 22:00:37 +0200
On Mon, 12 Jun 1995 14:46:12 CDT James Ford <[log in to unmask]> said:

>Question: The  apparent NNTP  host is  "ip113.asiaonline.net". If  I put
>this node  (asiaonline.net) in my  filter list will it  successfully get
>halted? Any way I can ban anything from "asiaonline.net" (headers and/or
>message body) from going through my list?

No because it's only in the "Path:" line which isn't checked. At least on
my  side of  the ocean  this spam  was successfully  caught. It's  only a
matter of time until we get a fast backbone in the US and the spam alerts
propagate quickly enough that this becomes a thing of the past. Last year
320 nodes left BITNET over the summer,  and it will probably be more this
year.  We're  already  down  to  2096 nodes  and  the  drop  outs  should
significantly  reduce BITNET  traffic. The  1.8b changes  should help  as
well, and  LMail 1.2b  will introduce similar  changes to  further reduce
BITNET traffic (I've  already written the code, I just  wanted to see the
impact of 1.8b before releasing more of the same). Hopefully by this fall
BITNET traffic will have been halved and things will work better, setting
aside the INTERBIT nodes. INTERBIT is another can of worms, but this fall
we should  have enough TCP/IP  servers to  stop using BITNET  servers for
distributions if it gets in the way of good service.

  Eric