Perrine Crampton <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 18 Jun 1996 16:34:54 EST
Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I used to think this was necessary, but after some expereince as list owner
>I am not so sure.  It DOES make a difference to the busy list owner when an
>ISP changes their mail routing.  But, hopefully, this does not happen
>often.

I agree! Inexperienced ISP's changing their mail routing is too often the cause
of this problem of user id's changing for no apparent reason. It's very
frustrating to deal with; especially when the user is JUST as inexperienced!
=:-O

[snip]

>The one tool that might help the list owner would be a new command of
>"CHANGE olduserID TO newuserID" rather than the current DEL/ADD double
>command, especially if this kept the users special settings for digest,
>etc., which are otherwise lost in the ADD/DEL cycle.

What a great idea, Ben! :-)

I vote for CHANGE olduserID TO newuserID and against the fuzzy domain
matching.

Why make even more work for the Listowner to handle when they have to
attempt to determine why the subscriber can't change from mail to digest
but "Gee! I get messages and post messages to the list all the time!"
From Eric's description, it looks like the fuzzy domain matching would
make matters WORSE than they are now.

Can we add another option? How about the ability to see how many
subscribers are REALLY receiving your message? Digest or not. The
current ACK only reports on how many MAIL subscribers got your message.
Can Listowners please have the ability edit the ACK for whichever choice
makes the most sense for their lists?? Please? And for all platforms.

What about being able to see the number of subscribers set to mail or
digest or nomail, etc.? JUST the addresses and the total count.
Possible?

p.s. The above is not intended to sound like I'm complaining. I LOVE
LSoft's Listserv software; I even refuse to join lists that don't use
Listserv software! :-)  I just want "a few more features." ;-)