"Alperin, Glenn" <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 28 Oct 1997 16:18:44 -0400
Ione wrote:

>Sherry Beauchamp wrote:
>
>> Out of about 225 subscribers, I have 12 who are complaining that my messages
>>to the list and to them privately do not wrap, but continue in one long line,
>>requiring them to scroll to read them.  One subscriber who receives the
>>digest maintains that when
>>
>> Sherry Beauchamp
>
>I don't know what's causing it either, but I'd like to add my voice to
>those complaining about it. It drives me batty! Yes I'm also using
>Netscape (3.01), and the problem (posts from some sources not wrapping)
>is getting more and more common recently. What program are YOU using,
>Sherry?
>--
>
>Ione

For what its worth, I have this problem to, and for a full detail of what
is happening with your message, I am manually puttingin the line wraps
where they should be, and you will note that part of your message, Sherry,
has been chopped from my view. I have added the ">>" characters to where
there should be line breaks in Sherry's initial question, but where there
aren't.

The other day, I actually e-mailed the support people over at Netscape to
see if they could do anything about it in a future release, and the fellow
didn't have the foggiest idea what I was talking about.  He thought I
wanted to know how to make the lines wrap in my Netscape Mail window, but
that was not my question.  I replied in kind and have not yet heard back
from them again....

Personally, I think there should be some sort of internet standard for
e-mail which dictates that all lines of text must have a carriage return
and line feed at the end of every 80 characters.  Anyway, I'm now beyond
the scope of this list, so I guess I should get off my soapbox here...

Glenn Alperin