Mon, 18 Jun 2001 19:06:49 -0500
On Mon, 18 Jun 2001, Karen Reznek wrote:
> it was *very* frustrating to see the "Don't quote over 5 lines" banner
> being quoted in addition to the entire post that was being responded
> to...

I once did a b_b which indicated that if it were quoted the person
replying was quoting too much.  Not only was it ignored by those who
always quote everything, some acutally made sport of it, in addenda
following the quoted b_b.

On Mon, 18 Jun 2001, Michael S. Johnson wrote:
> I understand your frustration and solve it by making a policy to warn the
> offender and either set the subscriber to REVIEW or delete their
> subscription if the overquoting continues.  I also have a policy statement
> about this for my subscribers:

For my largest list, 3600+, those who quote excessively (and those who do
not include email address in sig) never get off REVIEW. I have the
facility to edit and have the item still be distributed as being from the
original poster, so that is what I do.  It is a policy I adopted about
nine months ago after 8+ years of pleading.  I edit anywhere from six to
30 postings per day. The digest is much more readable and I am praised by
some, who subscribe to many lists, for having the cleanest list they know
of on the net.
  Douglas