Francoise Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 7 May 1999 15:26:17 -0400
On 7 May 99, at 10:35, Darryl Luther wrote:

> I'm almost embarrassed to be using
> an LSOFT product after reading that written tongue-lashing...

I certainly didn't see it as a tongue-lashing. The parts about innocent
software trying to defend itself and "better you than us" were definitely
tongue-in-cheek. (It's adapted from a sign in a sub-shop: "We don't give
you credit, you get mad. We give you credit, you don't pay us back, we
get mad. Better _you_ get mad").

What you call "blame-shifting" (although I assume you mean "protection
from blame-shifting"), I call "traceability". Trying to troubleshoot
problems in software that doesn't leave a trace is very difficult -- not just
for the software vendor trying to do support, but for the person running
the software. I consider it a feature to be desired (even required). I can
understand the need for certain things to be hidden -- I use QUIET  and
.HH ON / .HH OFF quite a lot. But even .HH leaves a trace so that
someone won't be stuck inadvertantly trying to troubleshoot a partial
header.

Anyway, don't be embarrassed at buying L-Soft products -- they didn't
quite realize what they were getting into when they hired me ;-)  (That
was also tongue-in-cheek, BTW)

Francoise