Aldo-Pier Solari <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 9 May 1994 15:25:39 GMT
On Mon, 9 May 94 Nick Laflamme <[log in to unmask]> said:

> My whole point is exactly that there are no police and no common authority
> in the Internet and in USENET.  Therefore, trying to find an EARN document
> or some other document to cite to "offenders" is pointless.

I do not agree, Sir. If EARN board of chiefs has taken the care to write
down some guidelines they should be considered by every one and a follow
up discussed.

> Peer pressure produces netiquette, which is as close to rules as you can
> get without authority.

That is a kind of "arbitrary revolutionary justice" and has no legal
grounds. Something to work must be legal and considered by the ones who
know (the Seniors).

> Corallary:  you get what you pay for.  On the Internet and USENET, you pay
> for connectivity and even freedom, not for control.

That is a conceptual way to accept the partial waste of an infrastucture
which cost billions. Beyond any nationalistic bigotry I would like to
suggest that Americans (from Canada to Argentina) take the concepts of
"freedom and control" too far. If things will work, and if Internet/Bitnet
will serve humanity, there must be some rules - which do not necessarily
imply "control" in a political context whatsoever.

    Regards, APS (FISH-ECOLOGY).