Don Soucy <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 30 Aug 1994 11:16:31 -0300
We are thinking of creating two comapnion lists: one for discussion,
the other strictly as a database on the same topic.  Our questions:

-  Are there other lists that do this?
-  Do you think it's worthwhile?

Here are the details:

-   We would set up [log in to unmask], an open, unmoderated list for
    announcing and discussing educational resources on the net.
    It would not be archived.

-  We set up a companion list, [log in to unmask], strictly as a database of
   educational resources on the Internet.  Only the owners would subscribe
   to edres-db, but anyone could access it as a database.  We would
   forward to EDRES-DB any relevant posts from EDRES-L and other lists.
   We would also "advertise" EDRES-DB on EDRES-L and other lists.

What are the benefits?

-   The database (EDRES-DB) would not be cluttered with posts of little
    use (e.g., "me too" posts; posts that heavily quote previous posts;
    long discussions in which only one or two of the many posts sum up the
    topic).

-   The discussion list (EDRES-L) would not be cluttered up with
    forwarded posts from other lists.

-   We could send to EDRES-DB long resource files that might be
    unappreciated by EDRES-L subscribers with limited disk space.

-   We could better control the database subject headers.

-   We could build EDRES-DB with both old and new files, without
    subscribers having to receive these files in their e-mail.

What are the drawbacks?

-   Would many people use a database of a list they never subscribed to?

I'm sure there are other drawbacks (and probably other benefits).

Anyone have opinions on this companion list idea?

Don