Wes Morgan <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 27 Jan 1993 08:56:05 EST
Heck, that may be the bounce of the year!  Nothing quite like a misconfigured
SMTP daemon to make your day complete; it looks as if they took the instruc-
tions literally......"insert your machine's name in the form host.domain.edu"

heh heh heh......anyway, on to the detective work.

> 0185; Tue, 26 Jan 93 13:06:38 CST

OK, so host.domain.edu is a BITNET site running Columbia Mailer R2.07 in
the Central Time Zone (if we can trust that information); that narrows it
down to a few hundred systems......8)

>220 Host.DOMAIN.EDU Columbia MAILER R2.07 BSMTP service ready.
>050 HELO TCSVM.BITNET
>250 Host.DOMAIN.EDU Hello TCSVM.BITNET
>050 TICK 5056
>250 5056 ... that's the ticket.

Don't the IBM's mailer logs keep notice of tickets, just as Unix sendmail
keeps track of message ids in syslog?  If so, the folks at TCSVM should
be able to check their logs for ticket 5056 and trace the connection.

>050 MAIL FROM:<[log in to unmask]>
>250 <[log in to unmask]>... sender OK.
>050 RCPT TO:<[log in to unmask]>
>250 <[log in to unmask]>... recipient OK.

I notice in BITNET LINKS that TCSVM has a direct link to USOUTHAL;
since the message is destined for TSRI@USOUTHAL, we can make a
working assumption that TCSVM tried to deliver this directly to
USOUTHAL.

I'd drop a line to the BITNET rep (or postmaster) for TCSVM....their
logs are the best starting place.  You might want to Cc: your note
to the postmaster/BITNETrep for USOUTHAL.  I suspect that USOUTHAL
is bringing up an SMTP service; according to BITEARN NODES, they
don't currently have one.

--Wes

--
 Wes Morgan
 Systems Administrator                  [log in to unmask]