Paul Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 19 May 2004 00:14:27 -0500
Winship wrote:

> I've a bunch of subscribers at indiana.edu.  A month or more ago they
> ceased receiving list MAIL distributions.  They receive with no problem
> administrative mail (confirms, job outputs, notices of actions taken by
> listowner, etc.) and DIGESTs, presumably also INDEX, though none are set
> that way.

We have had several recent reports of list or delayed messages from subscribers
at other .edu sites. One of the reports included the full headers from a list
posting. The headers showed that the messages was sent via a LISTSERV DISTRIBUTE
job which was sent from our LISTSERV server to listserv.iupui.edu. The headers
also indicated that the delivery delay occurred between the receipt of the
DISTRIBUTE job by listserv.iupui.edu and the subsequent delivery of the message
to the recipient's MX host. Preliminary investigation indicates that the other
reports also involved messages sent via LISTSERV DISTRIBUTE jobs which were sent
to listserv.iupui.edu. IUPUI is part of the Indiana University system. Late last
week, I was contacted by a member of the UITS Messaging Services Team at Indiana
University, however, we have not yet determined the root cause of the problem. I
am currently attending a conference which ends tomorrow, and will be taking the
rest of the week as vacation, so it will be next week before I resume work on
this issue.

You may want to consider asking your site administrator to check the LISTSERV
log files to see whether your lost messages were sent via DISTRIBUTE jobs
through listserv.iupui.edu. Messages sent via SMTP generate a seperate log
entry for each recipient address. Messages sent via the DISTRIBUTE MECHANISM
generate a single log entry showing the number of recipients on the DISTRIBUTE
job and the server to which the job was sent, however, there are no log entries
showing which recipients were included in the DISTRIBUTE job.

--
Paul Russell
Senior Systems Administrator