"Benjamin D. Skarp" <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 12 Jun 2002 10:23:56 -0400
Thanks for these prompt responses! So far, the lists have been locked do
to the GET command. What,exactly, does the SERVE out command do?

-----Original Message-----
From: Mitch Rerek [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Wednesday, June 12, 2002 10:22 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Automatic locking of lists

Your right.
I only just learned of those options but didn't think of them when I
wrote.
Live and Learn

By the way do you know how I can get a private confidential list web
accessible but only to the lists subscribers. I am in the midst of a
huge list migration and I have dozens of users screaming at me this
morning. Any help would be welcome.

Mitch

Good Advice BUT perhaps due to the newbie question, maybe the questioner
could have meant SERVE out (for a subscriber) or HOLD for a list since
there was some implication having to do with subscriber actions.

Just a thought.

/Pete

  At 09:55 06/12/2002 Wednesday, Mitch Rerek wrote:
>Doing a GET command (vanilla - like GET My_LIST) will lock a list.
>
>To unlock a list send
>UNLOCK My_List command
>
>To GET a list without locking it send
>GET My_List (nolock
>
>To find out if a list is locked issue the GET command, if it has been
>locked by the owner (I'm assuming you are an administrator) you get a
>response telling that the list is locked with the name of the person
who
>locked it.
>
>Hope this helps.
>I'm a newbie too!
>

>Mitch Rerek
>Senior Information Technology Consultant
>OIT Customer Support
>West Virginia University
>(304) 293-4444  ext 2256

>Hi everybody! Being relatively new to listserv administration, I have a
>couple questions regarding the locking of a list. How, exactly, does a
>list get locked? Presumably, it would be from sending a certain number
>of wrong commands to the list, or possibly from a non-listowner
>attempting to send commands to the list. Is it possbile to find out if
>list is locked, other than sending a command to it and the command
being
>rejected by an email stating "the xxxx-l list is locked"?
>Please let me have any suggestions!
>Thanks
>Ben
End Reply