Mary Schweitzer <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 3 Aug 1997 11:42:14 -0400
I think our friend has finally signed himself off.  I know I
sent him both a private and a public message saying how to do it.

Gee, guys, you're all listowners -- it may be FUN to torment
him by telling him how stupid he is, but it's not fun for your
subscribers -- the smart thing is get him the heck off the list
ASAP.  And since none of us could do it manually, then tell him
how to do it.  I do that on a lot of lists I'm on -- after all,
the listowner does have to take a break from the computer every
now and then ...

(Image of listowners being required to carry beepers that go off
whenever subscribers need them ...)

It is indeed possible he was bombed in precisely the way we were
talking about.  In fact, talking about it might have tempted
somebody to try it.

But I am also wondering about this AOL connection.  We've had more
than one AOLer wander unto this list not knowing what the bleep
it was.  Could one of you who on AOL go take a look at whatever
the site is that is feeding AOLers here?  Maybe it needs to be
reworded or something.  Or maybe they're sending them to the
archives page on the WEB, in which case maybe there needs to be
a line on that page that warns folks what this list IS.

Just a thought.

Mary Schweitzer, who, having finally figured out that the
gateway at American Uniersity is (for the forseeable future)
dead as a doornail, is now trying to figure out how to get a
moderated newsgroup on USENET without the gateway.  All
ideas and suggestions (except "You don't want to be on
USENET" -- because yes I do and I know what it means)
welcome.
http://www2.netcom.com/~schweit2/home.html