Roger Fajman <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 4 Nov 2000 00:21:19 -0500
> Several subscribers in a couple of listserv supported
> discussion groups that I look after are having dificulty with
> the MIME format digests using various versions of MS
> Outlook.  What versions of Outlook should the MIME
> digests work well with as contemplated by those who
> implimented this advance in the Lsoft Listserv digest
> delivery.
>
> Subscribers who are using more recent versions email
> clients are not having problems.  I would like to know
> what versions of MS Outlook they need to up grade to or
> avoid.  I am assuming that there is a version of MS
> Outlook where the MIME digests behalf as contemplated.

We've done some experimenting with HTML digests (which also use
MIME).  What I see with Outlook 2000 and an Exchange 5.5 server
is the raw HTML source for the index and the messages as
attachments.

The showing of the raw HTML source seems to be an Exchange server
problem.  It also occurs when I use an IMAP client with the
Exchange server.  The same clients used against a UW IMAP server
don't have the problem.

How well the IMAP clients otherwise work with the HTML digests
varies.  Many don't work with the CID URLs.  I tried Netscape
Messenger, Outlook Express, Eudora, and Execmail.  Netscape
Messager worked the best.