Vickie Banks <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 23 Jun 1996 22:39:34 -0400
Our local paper today picked up the following from Newsday, by Matthew
McAllester.

"For perhaps the first time in the 27-year history of the vast computer
network, Monday will see a culling of 25,000 domain names, the hearts
of Internet addresses.  The Internet's landlord, InterNIC, is fed up with
asking people to pay their annual rents, so their domain names will
disappear from the Internet's "White Pages," making them almost impossible
to find...

Network Solutions will make everything better again for the cyber
squatters by restoring their domain names in a day if they come up with
the $100 registration fee and, if they've been on the Internet more than
two years, a $50 annual rent fee..."

Does anyone know if this is likely to cause a large increase
in errors or other problems for lists?  IP addresses will apparently
continue to exist.  Will we soon not be able to mail to subscribers
at the affected nodes?

Thanks for any input.

Vickie Banks
H-NET Technical Assistance