Mon, 5 Apr 2004 10:48:00 -0400
"LISTSERV list owners' forum" <[log in to unmask]> wrote on
04/04/2004 09:56:49 PM:

> This simply can't be right.
>
> > In the U. S., something is copyright when it is fixed in tangible,
> > permanent form.
>
> So how come Donald Trump is trying to copyright the phrase "you're
> fired"?

Well, it is fixed in the form of video recordings that were subsequently
broadcast on TV.  But I think he'll have trouble suing anyone for using
it.  It's been used before, and it shouldn't be hard to document prior use
in many forms.

Didn't the widow of one of the 9/11 passengers try to copyright "Let's
roll"?  I wonder how far that went.  Not exactly the first time that line
was ever used...

I'm not a lawyer, but I used to work for some, including some Intellectual
Property types.