Sherry Beauchamp <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 19 Dec 1998 21:26:07 -0800

At 6:00 PM -0800 12/19/98, Dan Lester wrote:
>I've never understood why SJU or anyone else would run lists that had NO
>connection to the institution in SOME way.  Run by a faculty, staff,
>student, emeritus, etc, or that benefitted some department, discipline,
>etc, of the university.  Maybe THAT is what someone in the "chain of
>command" needs to consider.  Four lists formerly owned at IDBSU lost their
>connection when someone left the university, compounded by the fact that
>the owner bitched and whined and moaned when we had problems.  He didn't
>know about looking in the mouths of gift horses, I guess.  He was invited
>to leave post haste.   And, where are those lists now?  SJU.   Hope you're
>having fun.   After a few months he asked to come back.  I said no way.
>End of story.

Altruism?  Community support?  I can't speak for St. Johns, but as a
listowner of two lists there (and someone who has helped set up several
others lists there and mentored their listowners), I am very grateful that
St. Johns does this.  Kary's right that some listowners are jerks who cause
problems for him (which I am very sorry he has to deal with), but I think
(hope) the majority of us are responsible, hardworking listowners who
volunteer our time to manage lists on topics we find important.  Thank you
again, Kary, for all your time and effort on our behalf.

Sherry Beauchamp
Listowner
ADOPTION and XCULTUREADOPT